On May 5th 2013 The National Eye Institute announced that the AREDS 2 formula (AREDS formula minus beta carotene plus lutein and zeaxanthin), was 18% more efficacious than the original AREDS with beta carotene formula while also being safe for both smokers and non-smokers!
The key take aways from the AREDS 2 study are:
1. The AREDS-2 Formula was 18% more efficacious than the original AREDS formula with beta carotene.
2. Macular Degeneration patients who are at high risk of progression to the advanced stages of the disease should consider taking the AREDS 2 formulation after consulting with their physician.
3. The AREDS 2 formula is safe for patients with or without smoking histories.
4. Analysis from the AREDS 2 trial suggests that lutein and zeaxanthin offers better protective benefits against advanced macular degeneration compared with beta-carotene without the concern of smoking history.
5. Omega-3 fatty acids did not show any improvement at preserving vision from macular degeneration.
Research separate from the National Eye Institute’s AREDS and AREDS 2 studies discovered that copper should be added to a vitamin formula that contains zinc. The sole purpose of copper in the AREDS and AREDS 2 formula is to prevent copper deficiency, which may be associated with taking high amounts of zinc. Additional research suggests including 1mg of copper for every 25mg of zinc. Upon comparison of Visionary’s AREDS-2 formula to the recommendation from the National Eye Institute, it can be noted that Visionary’s AREDS-2 formula contains the exact levels of antioxidants and zinc being recommended in the AREDS 2 study. These specific levels of antioxidants and zinc lowered the risk of vision loss from the advanced stages of macular degeneration. After consulting with many of the top ophthalmologists and retina specialists across the country, Visionary’s AREDS-2 formula was formulated with 3mg of copper compared to the National Eye Institute's recommendation of 2mg to better protect against copper deficiency.
You should always consult with your eye care professional before starting any regime of dietary supplements.
Visionary Vitamins was founded on the idea to always be looking forward. In 2010, Visionary Vitamins consulted with a large number of well respected Ophthalmologists and Retina Specialists about developing an affordable brand of eye vitamin. Based on the latest scientific research available, we wanted to create a product that would be safe for both smokers and non-smokers. These physicians were not paid consulting fees to sponsor a product; rather, they are ethical doctors who care about their patients. These physicians believed in Visionary Vitamins to deliver high quality, affordable products. Together, we have helped macular degeneration patients across the country preserve their vision. We value and appreciate each and every one of the ophthalmologists and retina specialists we have worked with and regularly consult with them. We seek to continue delivering products that will provide the greatest benefit to the patient at the smallest possible expense. We also value and appreciate each patient that made Visionary Vitamins their choice of eye vitamin; your vision is important to us! We are dedicated to delivering exceptional customer service and products that represent the best value. Special wholesale pricing is available for retina and ophthalmology practices; call us for more information at 855-881-3100.
Manufacturing Standard of Excellence:
All Visionary Vitamin products are manufactured in an FDA registered facility that strictly adheres to the Current Good Manufacturing Practices which serves as guidence by the FDA for the dietary supplement industry. Great care is taken to ensure that each bottle contains only the highest quality product!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to treat, cure, prevent, or diagnose a disease.
1. Results from the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2, presented by the AREDS2 Research Team at the ARVO Annual Meeting, May 5, 2013
2. 1999 Physician's Desk Reference for Nonprescription Drugs and Dietary Supplements p.834.
3. Prevention's Healing with Vitamins Publication (1996).
4. GB 2,301,775
The AREDS 2 logo is a registered trademark of the US Department of Health and Human Services which is not affiliated to Visionary VItamin Co, Visionary Vitamin Co's products, or the contents on this website.